Today’s entry is not so mundane, but when a longtime reader sends photos your way of a building like this, you post them. Thanks to David L. for the images.
Architect Victor Lundy is famed for his designs, many in Florida as part of the Sarasota School, but examples exist all over the world. He was particularly proficient in church design and here we have Gloria Dei, a wood frame structure with a soaring central steeple. Many of his church designs feature unusual roofs and this is no exception.
The church is on Anna Maria Island off the coast of Sarasota. The main feature is laminated beams which bear the weight of the roof. These beams were recently fumigated as they had attracted termites over the years. Here’s to another 50 years for Gloria Dei.
Bounded by the same block on either side of the Hudson Valley Community Center sit two mid-century synagogues.
Temple Beth-El is a conservative congregation along S. Grand Avenue. The complex sits back from the street behind a parking lot and winding drive to a flat-roofed porte-cochere at the entrance. The structure is faced in red brick with a decorative window and panels fronting the sanctuary toward the street.
Schrome Israel sits close the street on Park Avenue. It is an Orthodox congregation that has had many homes; this one dates from 1968 and is of a severe design. The most prominent feature is an undulating wall of bright blue brick alongside Park Avenue topped by a flat projecting roofline supported by square pillars in dark brick. The rest of the structure seems fairly utilitarian but this pop of color brings visual interest to the modest building.
Just down the street from Robert Venturi’s famed Guild House is this one story Miesian office building at 827 Spring Garden Street. It was built in 1965.
1130 Nicollet Mall, 1975. Across from the famed Peavey Plaza.
While no cornerstone is immediately visible, the former Presbyterian church is a large A-frame sanctuary structure with a stone and brick face with a central entrance. In the background is a possibly older educational building, c. 1930.
Just across East-West Highway from our previous entry, First United Methodist Church, is this Mormon church. Built in 1965, it uses similar materials of brick and concrete. The real stand out feature here is the concrete screening, especially along the outer walkway. The organic shapes in the screening and the semicircular path from church to educational building elevate what could be a fairly featureless design.
There are several churches at the intersection of East West Highway and Queens Chapel Road in Hyattsville. The most prominent of them is First United Methodist Church, facing the corner of Belcrest Road and Queens Chapel, by A. Hensel Fink. The architect designed numerous churches in the area and was previously mentioned on this site here. This one dates from 1962.
Essentially an A-frame design with an elaborate central window, the building includes a long, one-story educational wing.