Monthly Archives: May 2012

Firestone Complete Auto Care, New Haven, CT

This blog doesn’t often cover vernacular structures directly tied to the automobile such as service stations or auto dealerships. One reason is that these sites are becoming increasingly rare finds in their original state. This Firestone dealership at 680 Chapel Street in … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | 1 Comment

Webster Bank, New Haven, CT

The style of this bank at 80 Elm Street is art moderne, a stripped down version of a classical bank. It was designed by architect Roy W. Foote in 1948 for the First Federal Savings & Loan Association of New … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | 1 Comment

Mid-Century Mundane Featured on Herman Miller Blog!

Last week Mid-Century Mundane was thrilled to be featured on Herman Miller’s Lifework Blog as one of the Best of the Week. Thanks and keep reading!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Bethesda Lutheran Church, New Haven, CT

This church, within a larger complex, between Whitney Avenue and St. Ronan Street, does not have much of a street presence. It is built into a hillside and the St. Ronan Street entrance to the church is elevated so that … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | Leave a comment

Bank of America, New Haven, CT

This bank is located across from the Yale Bookstore on Broadway. It was built in 1951 by the prolific New Haven-based architect Douglas Orr for the First National Bank and Trust Company of New Haven, and seems relatively intact, although … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | Leave a comment

Start Community Bank, New Haven, CT

This new community bank is located at the corner of Whalley Avenue and Sherman Parkway in New Haven. The building was built in 1956 for Tradesmen National Bank by the Bank Building and Equipment Corporation of America, who designed hundreds … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | Leave a comment

First Presbyterian Church, New Haven, CT

On Whitney Avenue in New Haven is this simple A-frame building. It was designed by architects Jim Owens and John Dinkeloo in 1966. Both were members of the congregation. That same year Dinkeloo partnered with Kevin Roche in Roche Dinkeloo, … Continue reading

Posted in Connecticut | 1 Comment