Located on a block of brownstones, the Second District Dental Society is a modest structure that fits in well with its neighbors. The building includes 5,000 square feet of space including an auditorium, dental office, laboratory, and administrative offices.
The Society moved here when faced with a major rent hike at One Hanson Place around the corner, long known as a building of dentist offices. Building this structure meant that the Society was the first dental society in the nation with its own headquarters.
The building was constructed in 1952 by architect J. Bruno Basil, a Brooklyn based architect active from the 1940s until at least the 1960s. By the 1970s he had moved to Florida and practiced there until his retirement. Although it is unclear what his speciality was, his name is attached to designs of a tuberculosis hospital from the 1940s, so medical design was not unknown to him.
Source: Brooklyn Daily Eagle September 27, 1951.