The Francis Martin Branch of the New York Public Library is a surprisingly prominent building, occupying a curved stretch of University Avenue across from Bronx Community College. The building’s design works with the curve, stretching its length with a prominent wall of glass block in the center of the facade. There is minimal detail other than a doorway inset next to the glass block and rows of metal casement windows.
The construction of this branch, to replace a previous University Heights location, started in 1956 and the building was dedicated in 1958. The branch was renovated by 1100 Architect in 2008, primarily the second floor children’s reading room.
This entry was posted in Bronx
, New York City
, New York State
. Bookmark the permalink