Mundane Mondays is back! Today’s entry comes from reader Kerri C. who laments the loss of 304 Mulberry Street, the former St. Barnabas Home. Built by the New York Protestant Episcopal City Mission Society in 1947, the building was designed by little known architect H. M. Cole. He also did small commercial stores, restaurants, and warehouses around the city, almost all of which have vanished.
Originally showing a strong International influence with horizontal window bands on each floor and a rooftop setback with prominent overhang. Over the past decades the building has been heavily modified to remove most of its modernist touches (recent images below). And recently demolition plans have been announced. Let’s take a last look at what was once a nicely contributing building.