This week we are featuring two 1970s Greek Orthodox churches, St. Nicholas in Flushing, and this one here. Surrounding by high rise housing, the original c. 1918 church on this site must have been one of the oldest structures in the immediate neighborhood and was the acting Greek Orthodox cathedral in New York at several times. However in 1973, the existing building burned down and was quickly replaced by the current one in 1974. The architect was Steven Papadatos, who started his firm in the early 70s, so this would have been one of his first projects. They have gone on to do more than 20 eastern churches in the region.
Seen from this angle, we can see how the church is isolated among the large open spaces of the neighboring brick residential towers. The central dome, a typical element of this type of church, can also be seen from this angle. The front facade seems a bit jumbled with several random elements, including a one story entrance porch with tile roof. However the interior is of traditional ornate design and can be seen here.