This fire station is sited one block off the busy Lexington Avenue and 86th Street intersection. It is a small, two-story, brick structure among much larger buildings on either side. It was built from 1957-1960 by Raymond Irrera, an architect who died in 1959, although his son seems to have carried on in the architectural profession. Irrera was president of the Queens’ AIA chapter in the 1940s and also designed gas stations in Manhattan, the Queens Village Public Library and several factories, among other projects.
Looking at fire stations of this era, the similarities (white or grey brick, metal bands of windows, the classic red garage doors) make it sometimes surprising that most of these buildings were done by different architects. Another similar but slightly more striking station will be featured in our next post.