Here to kick off a new, occasional chapter of Mid-Century Mundane is our first entry from England. The former Hyde Park Chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is located at 64-68 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road in South Kensington, London across from the Museums of Science and Natural History and just down the block from the Victoria & Albert Museum.
It was built in 1961 by the architecture firm of T. P. Bennett and Son, which still exists, being run by the son in question. The firm also designed residential and commercial architecture from the 1920s through the present, including several prominent art deco structures and, similar to this project, the Mormon London Temple, Surrey, in 1958. Their 1960s poultry market at Smithfield is a listed building.
The facade of Hyde Park Chapel is covered in Portland stone, a popular material for buildings across the UK going back to the Roman era. However, here the building itself is reinforced concrete with the stone as the cladding. The interior features stained glass by Pierre Fourmaintraux, who worked for the storied Whitefriars Glass company. There was also a mural from the NY 1964-65 Worlds Fair in the lobby until 2011, when it was removed and sent back to the US.
Thanks to James R. for the preemptive research on this building.