This church is located in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston, at the corner of Marlborough and Berkeley Streets, across the street from Paul Rudolph’s interventions at the First and Second Church, which we will address another time.
First Lutheran was dedicated in 1957 and designed by Petro Belluschi, who at the time was dean of the MIT School of Architecture & Planning. We’ve covered Belluschi several times before–this RISD dormitory dates from the same year and also utilizes brick with window patterning to the same effect.
The building blends in nicely among rowhouses and mansions with its similar height and mellow brick facade. It is relatively unadorned with clerestory windows underneath an arched concrete shell roof. Additionally, lush plantings including ivy covering portions of the front, make it a quiet neighbor.