It’s not that common to come across a mid-century observatory. This one is the Stamford Observatory from 1959-60, designed by local architect Gordon Johnson. It was built by a local contractor, sometimes using surplus building materials from other sites to cut down on costs. The dome is a later 1960s addition to replace the original dome and the building was first painted white in 1970 to cut down on heat in the building, which was originally brown. The full story can be found here.
The simple materials, horizontal windows, light colors, and glass brick detailing lend the building a International-style character, which is complemented by the mid-century metal lettering at the entrance.