This church sits at the prominent intersection of State, Main and New South Streets. This is the third building and the second on this site for Edwards Church, a congregation that has existed since 1833. The previous Victorian-era church was the site of President Calvin Coolidge’s funeral. In the 1950s the congregation decided to demolish it for a new structure. It was built in 1958-59 by nationally prolific church architect Harold E. Wagoner, who has been featured once on this website.
Coming along New South Street/Route 10 toward the intersection, the sanctuary is an arresting site as it looks like traffic may almost drive through the front glass window. The very large clear glass window looking out on the intersection is covered in a metal screen that includes crosses between the horizontal and vertical bars of the screen.