Now known as Riverside Baptist Church, this congregation was originally the Fifth Baptist congregation, until the 1902 church was demolished in the 1950s by the Redevelopment Land Agency, along with most of the rest of Southwest D.C. The new building dates from 1967-68. It was designed by Ward & Hall, a Virginia architecture firm still in business today.
It presents a somewhat severe profile on the corner of Seventh and Eye Streets, with its steep gable, stone patterned facade and unadorned stucco wall under a stained glass window. There are two low-slung one-story wings off the front of the parking lot and a side entrance off of 7th Street where the cornerstone is located.
There are a large number of modernist churches immediately nearby, built due to urban renewal. Sadly, some like the striking St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, with a similar steep roofline to Riverside, have been demolished.