Built from 1961-63 and opened in 1964 to replace the 1887-era library, the current main library was designed by James W. Kideney and Associates with Paul Harbach, both known Buffalo area firms. Here is a picture from a short time after its completion.
The library is located at the intersection of several streets with an entrance plaza in front of Buffalo’s Lafayette Square. The building is actually built above a stretch of Ellicott Street, created a short underpass effect in that location. The bulk of the library can be seen across Ellicott Street in the background of the above picture. The rear of the structure on Oak Street can be seen in the final image.