This building houses Barnard College’s Wollman Library and was designed by O’Connor and Kilham, with assistance on the facade screen from Victor and Aladar Olgyay, twin brothers and leaders in the field of climate-responsive architecture. O’Connor and Kilham existed from 1943 until 1959 and seemed to specialize in libraries for colleges and other institutions. Some of their extant libraries exist at Princeton, Amherst, Trinity, Colgate and Bryn Mawr. According to the AIA Guide to New York, this building was completed from 1957-59 so it must be one of their last commissions before the firm morphed into later partnerships. They also designed Sherrill Hall (1959-1960) at the General Theological Seminary in New York, also originally a library and which was demolished in 2008 for a larger mixed-use building.
The tall concrete building to the right is Altschul Hall, designed by Philadelphia based architect Vincent Kling and constructed from 1966-69. It is currently under renovation.