The Church of the Open Door is located at the corner of Gold Street and Nassau Street/Flushing Avenue in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn-Queens Expressway runs almost directly overhead, an interesting fact given that another building affiliated with the church, City Park Chapel on Concord Street, was demolished for the BQE’s construction. This building was constructed in 1953-54 by architects Adams & Woodbridge for an off-shoot body of the original group. According to the church’s website, the groundbreaking in 1953 was attended by none other than Robert Moses, mastermind of the BQE among many other projects that changed the face of New York City.
Image showing the proximity of the BQE (bottom of roadway in upper left corner)