This 7-story Catholic school addition is part of the St. Francis Xavier complex on West 16th Street. It was built from 1960-65 and designed by architect Joseph H. Belfatto, who designed several Catholic churches around the city.
The building sits between the massive and recently restored St. Francis Xavier Church by Patrick Keely and the 1920s portion of the high school. The mid-century wing replaced an earlier Victorian building.
Chadwin House is a low-rise apartment building, now condominiums. It was built in 1963 to designs by prolific architect Horace Ginsbern, most well-known for his deco-style apartment buildings on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx. He was still designing until his death in 1969 and his son carried on the firm until at least the 1980s.
The bands of white brick on Chadwin House contribute to its horizontality and also enliven a fairly utilitarian facade. Columbia University has a sales brochure of Chadwin House that makes it seem like the building was trying to fit in well with its older Chelsea neighbors. The brochure also shows a simpler, curved mid-century entrance canopy and a decorative metal screen on the windows to the left of the entrance.
With much new construction going on in Chelsea, this block of Seventh Avenue is a low-rise anomaly given the Chadwin House’s placement directly across Seventh Avenue from a one-story power station.
At 131 Main Street is this small mid-century post office. Built in 1960, the building incorporates a wall of marble to the right of the entrance as well as beige brick, enamel panels around the windows and aluminum trim on the entrance and at the roofline. There are several mid-century buildings in this small town of otherwise older structures.
As always, if you have local mid-century buildings that you love, send us photos and information! We always like featuring reader submissions for Mundane Mondays.
Agudath Sholom Synagogue is set back off Langhorne Road, a long and low building surrounded by trees. This building was built in 1955-56 for a growing congregation that was moving out of the downtown as many businesses and organizations were doing at the time.
The architects for the new building were Alexander Sharove of Pittsburgh, who died before the synagogue was completed, and Pendleton Clark of Lynchburg. Sharove was based in Pittsburgh, although born in Richmond, VA. He worked on at least six synagogue, temple or yeshiva sites until his death in 1955. Agudath Sholom is the last project noted in his 1956 American Institute of Architects listing. Clark was a prominent architect in Lynchburg starting in the 1920s and designed residential, religious and collegiate buildings across Virginia.
The main facade materials are red brick with limestone trim. Up close to the building, one can better see the detailing, including several Jewish symbols–the menorah, the tablets, and a row of Stars of David framed in the windows set back above the entrance.
This former synagogue in the East Liberty section of Pittsburgh is actually just an alteration to an existing residence with the addition of a striking mid-century facade. The stone and cement front wall incorporates a stylized menorah design topped by electric bulbs.
The building is featured in the recently published The Synagogues of Central and Western Pennsylvania: A Visual Journey by Julian Preisler. A historian with a strong interest in synagogue architecture, Julian’s books feature a wide variety of mid-century examples, some of which have been featured on this blog.
According to Julian’s book, the Orthodox congregation of Torath Chaim was established in 1927 with their building being altered in 1931 and 1948. The front facade obviously dates from this later work. The congregation closed in 2004 and it now serves as an artist’s studio.
Our next few posts will take in a core group of mid-century commercial buildings in downtown Pittsburgh, next to “The Point.” The locally named point is actually Point State Park, sited at the meeting point of Pittsburgh’s rivers. Creation of the park started in the 1950s, around the time many of the neighboring buildings were being constructed. Much of the land was taken through eminent domain to remove the existing industrial uses in the area.
Our first building, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette building was actually built in 1927 for the newspaper. The original building was a Romanesque style warehouse structure. However, as the city and state started developing this area into a new office hub in the 1950s and 60s, instead of tearing down their building, the Post-Gazette simply covered it in a curtain wall facade of unusual design. The new facade was added in 1962.
The building was listed as a contributing resource to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Historic District in a recent National Register nomination by the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation, which incorporates many of the mid-century buildings nearby. In the summary of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Building, the nomination form describes the 1962 facade as such: “The spandrels and an accent vertical band on the north elevation were overlain with aluminum screens of staggered squares and rectangles that are somewhat reminiscent of the contemporary art screens of Harry Bertoia.” It is unclear from the National Register report what architectural firm was responsible for this alteration. Regardless the building’s facade remains intact from this period and is an interesting comparison with other neighboring buildings of the era.
The building is still owned and used by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today. Much of the information in this summary was adapted from the National Register nomination form, which provides considerable historical background on the area and its architecture.
Donner House is a residential building on the Carnegie Mellon campus. With its eye-catching aqua brick, blue-tinted glass, and metal panels, it is distinctly mid-century and like nothing else nearby.
It was designed by Mitchell & Ritchey in 1952-54, one of three buildings that Ritchey designed on the campus (the other two being Cyert and Wean Halls). The firm was short-lived, dissolving in 1957, although Ritchey remained in Pittsburgh and went on to numerous other iterations. He had a hand in such major projects as Three Rivers Stadium and the Civic Area (the Igloo)–both now demolished.
Donner Hall is long with three stories at front and built onto a slope so the rear is five stories with two lower basement stories exposed. The front entrance is a centered, metal framed one story pavilion with aqua brick and enamel panels. The rear elevation gives a good opportunity to really see the blue-tinted window panels and how they alternate and change the impression of the building through color.
The building is a freshmen residence hall, originally built as an all-male dorm and one of the largest on the campus. Based on online comments it is not well loved.